Started Dec 21 2012, 20:18

Dec 21 2012, 20:18
The distinction between simple negligence and medical malpractice seems simple enough – doctors commit malpractice while ordinary people are negligent. Yet an on-going strain in New York state common law is struggling with that very classification in circumstances which might be classified as quasi-medical.

The latest decision to deal with this topic was handed down by New York’s First Appellate Division on September 1, 2009. In Friedmann v. New York Hospital – Cornell Medical Center (Index 400800/01), the First Department determined that injuries sustained by a nursing home patient were the result of simple negligence and not medical malpractice. In that case, the decedent, who was bedridden and had fragile skin as a result of medication, was a resident at Silvercrest Extended Care Facility. She died when her right leg ruptured after it struck a bed rail while aides were adjusting her bed for dinner. The plaintiff alleged that the facility was negligent not only in allowing the leg to strike the bed, but also for not promptly addressing the injury and for delaying in calling 911.

The First Department reasoned that the plaintiff’s cause of action sounded in simple negligence, because the acts complained of could be evaluated by the trier of fact based on common knowledge without resort to expert testimony. This, the court reasoned, was distinct from situations in which directions given or treatment received by the patient are at issue. Citing to its own decision in Reardon v. Presbyterian Hosp. in City of N.Y., 292 AD2d 235 (2002) the Court noted that in medical malpractice cases, professional skill and judgment must be evaluated.

A lengthy dissent by Justice Catterson strongly disagreed with the Court’s assessment. Catterson, relating the case back to the well known Cardozo opinion in Palsgraf v. Long Is. R.R. Co., 248 N.Y. 339, argued that under the circumstances of this case, the harm suffered by the decedent was only foreseeable to someone who was able to bring to bear “special skills and knowledge of medical science,” thus removing the duty of care from simple negligence and into the realm of medical malpractice.

The dissent emphasized the lack of a bright line distinction under New York law between medical malpractice and negligence, noting among many cases the New York Court of Appeals case of Karasek v. LaJoie, 92 N.Y.2s 171 (1998), in which New York’s highest court admitted that the distinction between negligence and malpractice is something with which “the courts have periodically had to grapple.” In Karasek, the Court of Appeals was faced with the question of whether a psychologist was entitled to the benefit of the statute of limitation for medical malpractice which, in New York, is shorter than the limitation period for a negligence action.

The Friedmann dissent notes that while the Court of Appeals in Karasek decided who could be the subject of a malpractice claim, it did not address what types of care would be the subject of such a claim. Clearly then, while the case law on this issue continues to mount, viewpoints on the subject have not yet coalesced.

AL Imran

We Speak Your Language

Sunday, 6 December 2020
Legal Advice News
Welcome to Australia’s number one legal advice website.
Do you need legal help? If so, then you have come to the right place.
We cover all legal matters in every legal area Australia Wide, including:
For a full list of all legal areas covered please visit our Legal Advice Areas page.
If you need legal advice then please complete your Free Legal Enquiry Form to be put in contact with the best lawyer for your legal matter.
NEW Family Law Section
Our new family law section covers every legal aspect of family law. If you are going through a separation and would like to know your rights entitlements with respect to property and children, then please complete your Free Legal Enquiry Form to be put in contact with the best lawyer for your legal matter.
A new family law section covers all aspects of Family Law & Relationships including:
We also cover all Other family law and legal relationship issues including:
  • Resolving problems with your relationship
  • Counselling and other support for your relationship
  • Domestic violence: protecting yourself and getting help
  • Ending a marriage or civil partnership
  • Planning and getting a divorce
  • Ending a civil partnership
  • Legal separation
  • Money, property and possessions when your relationship ends
  • If you're ending a marriage or civil partnership
  • If you're not married or in a civil partnership
  • Financial planning when your relationship ends
  • Working out money and property using financial orders - 'ancillary relief'
  • Looking after children if you divorce or separate
  • Looking after children if your relationship ends
  • Children, divorce, separation and courts
To seek legal advice and assistance from a specialist family lawyer regarding your particular legal situation, please complete your FREE legal enquiry form on the left, or click here.
Our Free legal enquiry service extends to every State and Territory Capital including:
  • Sydney Legal Advice
  • Darwin Legal Advice
  • Brisbane Legal Advice
  • Adelaide Legal Advice
  • Hobart Legal Advice
  • Melbourne Legal Advice
  • Perth Legal Advice
  • Canberra Legal Advice
IF you have a legal matter, whether it be family law, conveyancing, property law, compensation law or any other matter requiring personal legal services, then enquiry today - and get the legal help you deserve!

Conveyancing legal advice

Are you looking at buying or selling real estate? If so, then you need legal advice from a
Conveyancing Solicitor. A conveyancing solicitor will help guide you through the process of buying and selling real estate. If you are a purchaser or vendor then it's important you get legal advice regarding your contractual rights and obligations.  To seek legal advice pertaining to conveyancing, please complete free legal enquiry form or click on the following link for further information regarding conveyancing:

Family Law Legal Advice - Divorce Legal Advice
Do you need legal advice regarding any aspect of
family law? are you thinking about having a divorce?  If so then you need legal advice from a qualified family lawyer.  Family laws can be quite complex and difficult to navigate which is why it is important to obtain sound legal advice in order to protect your position. Our free legal enquiry service covers all aspects of family law. So if you need a family lawyer to give you the best legal advice regarding your legal situation, then don't delay enquire today!

Have you been in a car accident?

If you have been involved in a car accident, then the chances are that you could be entitled to claim compensation. It is important you seek legal advice immediately following are car accident as there are stringent time limits that apply to the making of CTP claims.

If you have suffered a personal injury in a car accident, either as a:  driver, passenger, cyclist, motor cycle rider or pedestrian, you could be entitled to claim compensation, whether you have minor soft tissue injuries, whiplash, broken limbs, head injuries or far more serious injuries. It is important you obtain sound legal advice without any delay. Enquire today to find out what compensation you could be entitled to.

To find out what compensation entitlements you could receive for your injuries please complete our no obligation, FREE Online legal Enquiry Form

Car accidents happen every day. If you have been affected from a road related incident, the chances are you could be entitled to claim a compensation payout. You should seek legal advice immediately. even if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident you could still be eligible to claim compensation. Please complete your free legal enquiry form to find out more.

There are time limits that apply to CTP claims and it is important to seek legal advice immediately to ensure that your rights entitlements are protected.

Have you been involved in an accident with uninsured vehicle?

If so then you could be Eligible to claim compensation against the nominal defendant.

It is important to seek legal advice immediately. - please complete your free legal enquiry form to be put in contact with a lawyer who can help you with your claim.

If you have been injured in a Road related accident either as a driver, passenger, pedestrian, motorcyclist or cyclist, you could be entitled to claim a significant compensation payout. You should seek legal advice immediately to find out what you could be entitled to claim.

Legal advice for family law matters

Do you need legal advice regarding family law? If so, please complete your free legal enquiry form. Going through a separation and divorce can be a difficult time for those involved and that's why the process needs to run as smoothly as possible. It is therefore important that proper legal advice be obtained from a qualified legal practitioner practising family law who can help you and give you the legal advice you need to guide you through your difficult situation and ensure that the matter is dealt with as fairly as possible. Please complete your free legal enquiry form to find out more.

Car Accident Compensation

Have you been in a car accident? where you a driver, rider, passenger or pedestrian? If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, then you could be entitled to claim a significant compensation payout. To find out more please complete your free legal enquiry form.


Cyclist Accidents and Injuries

Quite often cyclists are not given proper care and attention by other road users. This can result in accidents occurring between car, trucks and other motor vehicles with bicycle riders. Motorists often fail to give way to cyclists therby causing an accident with the cyclist.

If you are a cyclist who has been involved in an accident, then the chances are you could be entitled to receive a significant compensation payout from the CTP insurer of the driver that caused the accident.

To find out more, please complete your free legal enquiry form.

Looking for a specialist lawyer or legal information?

Please complete our fast and
free legal enquiry form or

Disclaimer: there are advertising laws affecting personal injury claims. By using this site you agree to the Terms of Use.